What We Do
When you submit your manuscript to Emerald Lake Books for our Design Services, here’s what we do:
- Remove unwanted spaces, breaks, tabs and sections to clean your text for typesetting.
- Layout pages by setting the trim, margins, binding edge, bleed and recto-verso pages.
- Consistently setting each line of text, adjusting spanning, hyphenation and kerning as required.
- Check for title casing, spaces before punctuation, curly quotes and en/em dashes.
- Ensure final .pdf file meets your print house specifications and contains embedded fonts.
- Style half title, title, copyright, contents tables, dedication and foreword.
- Select fonts and design styles for headings, body text, quotes, lists, captions, fleurons etc.
- Create running headers with author/chapter and book title. Roman/Arabic page numbering.
- Create squared-off pages that avoid widows, orphans and empty space where possible.
The result is a professionally designed book that looks and feels exactly like it was handled by a traditional publishing house.